Out and about in Kintyre... A fantastic resource on the doorstep... A place to walk, run, cycle or horse ride... A family resource.. A showcase of local history with castles, an abbey, standing stones and much more... An ever changing landscape, hills to shore, forest to lochs and views of all the islands around the peninsula of Kintyre.
- Our 100 mile long distance route... It really is - Simply the Best.
But to keep it that way we need to:-
- maintain that path and market that route: Your Likes, Shares and Pledges for this project will help ensure we can do just that. Path maintenance will allow us to ensure the route is attractive and accessible and we will be proud to promote the route as a recreational facility and a means of providing outdoor access to improve the health and wellbeing of our community.
We also need some regular help to:
- build our team. We have a team, but we can always find space for more. We have our Board of Trustees, who manage the organisation. We have our Friends of the Kintyre Way group, which has 60 members. Many of this group actively volunteer to walk the route regularly and report back any concerns. Others carry out low key maintenance, sometimes simply walking a section of the route with secateurs in hand, cutting back brambles and other bushes that sprout and grow across the path. We welcome more friends and we love to hear back from locals and visitors who have walked the route and shared their experience and photos on our Facebook page.
And like all organisations we need financial support from:
- funders, individuals and local businesses. Again your Likes, Shares and Pledges and support for this project will help us achieve our aim! We'd love to increase our "supporters". Supporters provide a regular monthly donation. Individuals give because they want to help keep "our walk on the wild side" well maintained and well trodden. Local businesses want to see the continuation of a facility that not only gets local people out and about and using services but one that attracts visitors to the area. So some of our accommodation providers, cafes and other business along the route provide a regular monthly donation too. This income stream demonstrates support from our communities and provides unrestricted cash which can be matched into bids and project such as this.
Feel Free - Feel Fit - Take that Walk on the Wild Side!
This project will in particular benefit the rural communities in North Kintyre. From Tarbert to Tayinloan we are looking to improve the path, drain land that regularly turns boggy and create new path rather than use boardwalk to get across. We will remove stiles and replace with more accessible gates. We will make sure the route is well signposted with our trademark blue posts sporting the Kintyre Way logo and of course interpretation signs with information about the route and points of interest, viewpoints, historical sites along each section of the route.
Wild and Beautiful - Simply the Best!
- Our 100 mile long route distance route provides a wonderful recreational facility, right on the doorstep for all our villages and communities. Visitors love it too, with many coming each year to walk the full route, staying locally each evening after the day's hike. The Kintyre Ultra group hosts an annual run on the route, attracting Ultra runners from across the UK and the globe.
- Hike outdoors, enjoy that feel good factor that comes with being close to nature. The landscape changes, the views are fantastic, the flowers and fauna too. There are quiet sheltered bays and then there's the Wild Atlantic.
- Look at our website. Follow us on Facebook, both the Kintyre Way and The Friends of the Kintyre Way.
- Travel that route with us from Tarbert to Cloanaig, From Cloanaig to Clachan, from Clachan to Tayinloan, from Tayinloan to Carradale, from Carradale to Campbeltown, from Campbeltown to Southend and from Southend to Machrihanish.
- Travel the 100 miles or travel a section. You'll find it wild and beautiful and as you pass through the communities and see and feel Kintyre and it's history and we hope you too will rate the Kintyre Way...
.That Walk on the Wild Side as Simply the Best!